Wednesday 4 January 2012

I Don't Care If It Hurts, I Wanna Have Control.

With your feet in the air and your head on the ground, you try this trick, and spin it.
Your head will collapse, but there's nothing in it, so you ask yourself:
Where is my mind?

I think one thing that has troubled me recently is support, I feel a great loathing to the pop industry as a whole, as reclusive as it may be as soon as an artist I like becomes more well known or spreads to people with other tastes it ruins it for me; I'll use an analogy:
Walking past a shop, finding a really nice top, wearing it about like a smug cunt, three days later you pop past Topman and everyone outside is adorned with it, eating their sausage rolls, getting flakey bits of pastry all over it, pretty soon you stop wearing the top, because everyone else has it.

I think in a sense I work around something that is the opposite, somewhat, of the Bandwagon. Not on a principle that I'm up my own arse ("I'm a maverick, I cant be like everyone else, I need to stand out, I'm a rose in a garden of thorns, my love!" - esq pretentious-indie-cunt) I just like savouring things that I find, as far as music is concerned I don't like sharing my toys, only to a select few that will at least appreciate it for what it is, not blag about it, reposting link after link on social networking sites till every airwave in the country is oscillating with the remnants of what was once a bloody cracking song.

But on the other hand, it is support that drives musicians forward and I guess that can be borne of no criticism, yet with a certain level of support you can end up stuck in a paradigm wherein you have to constantly produce things in order to keep the base happy, churning out entire albums of what would be obscure b-sides in any other age "because it sells". I think this was best summarised by Ricky Gervais in an interview he held with Kirsty Young on Desert Island Discs:
"The first album is easy, it is essentially all your years experiences [before you made it big]; but then the second is the previous year and lets be honest, it wasn't a normal year"

I don't think there is ever a time when an artist does not have the support they deserve, but I personally do not think that support is reflective of quality; you could have the most beautiful voice but if only three people get to hear it, is that really a shame? I really do think it's more important to light up a pub in Manchester than rock a stadium, but each to their own!

Anyhow, I think the next post might be a little less music related; because the entire industry is more pretentious and superficial than I have time to comment on anymore, much like this blog! (haha, hehe, hoho)

Righty o, I'll leave you with a cheeky bit of Mozz :)
I Dont Mind If You Forget Me

No comments:

Post a Comment