Wednesday 17 August 2011

See That Gut Lord Marching

Parklife. (Do, do, do, do doo doo)
All the people, so many people, all go hand in hand, hand in hand through there, s'parklife.
Now, don't get me wrong, as much as I love Damon Albarn and in the knowledge that I'm not of any real authority to criticise his talent, I can't help but notice that he's inconsistant as a musician, looking at his work with Blur, he's written some cracking songs (for example: Parklife, Song 2, Country House, Boys and Girls, Beetlebum to name but a few) then compare these classics with some of the better known Gorrillaz songs (Of which Albarn is now the vocalist and primary songwriter) such as Clint Eastwood, Revolving Doors, that leave me feeling empty inside; I'm not suggesting that Albarn has not put as much effort into writing these songs, but they don't feel as wholesome and crafted as his Blur work, as if they're too modern.
Now, I appreciate that the writing style and genre are completely different and I understand that the Gorrilaz are a "virtual band" where Albarn himself isn't "in the spotlight" as such, but it amazes me that these projects are both by the same chap, liccle Dicky Albarn; that said, Demon Days was multi award winning and sold ridiculously well, so I'm going to put it down to it being "not you, but me" and understand that artists move on, that said, the latest album was basically just an musical iPad promo...

Now I've written this, I realise that it's incredibly boring if you've never heard of Blur, sorry, I'll book my ideas up for this weekend, and I'll have a cracking bumper edition as I'm away for a few weeks, so you'll have plenty to be going on with.
An update from my personal life, tomorrow I'm starting my course in radio broadcasting with my intentions being to get my own slot and I'll keep you all abreast with how that goes, hopefully you'll be able to listen to my strange Boltonian accent, witicisms and music live at some point in the near future! (God help us all).

Anyway, thank's for reading tonight, I'll leave you with a treat:
One of my all time favourite songs:
Save It For The Bedroom by You Me At Six!

Ha, I'm sure we all have a lot better taste than that, here's Fuck Forever by Babyshambles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbSbcXTp5hU

No comments:

Post a Comment